All 4 Android App Accessibility Statement
Channel 4 committed to providing a video on demand service that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of ability, capability or technology.
At Channel 4 we routinely check our apps - when amendments are made to existing screens and when new elements and features are released - to ensure that they meet our accessibility requirements, and we do respond positively to feedback regarding the accessibility of any of our screens or services. We aim to conform to the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C's) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, to a AA level, wherever possible.
How accessible is this app?
We aim to provide the most accessible experience possible for our visitors and have implemented the following accessibility features:
- Logical and consistent navigation is provided for users
- Bluetooth keyboard compatible in most areas of the app
- Clickable elements can be understood out of context for screen reader users
- Search facilities have been implemented to find programmes quickly
Screen reader navigation using TalkBack
If you are using a screen reader, you will be able to navigate through the app using TalkBack.
Changing the colour and font of the display
Channel 4 does not currently offer alternate colour schemes. However, you can invert colours within the Android device settings area.
Subtitles are enabled on our Android app. Content can be watched with Subtitles where an 'S' icon is displayed.
Audio Description is enabled on our Android app. Content can be watched with Audio Description where an 'AD' icon is displayed.
BSL Signed content is currently limited on the All 4 service. However, where signed content is available this will be clearly signposted within the app. We are looking to increase the level of Signed content on All 4, and aim to make improvements in this area as soon as possible.
We know some parts of the app are not fully accessible:
- We are aware that the app cannot be turned into landscape mode other than during playback.
- Some limitations have been identified for users of a Bluetooth keyboard within the 'My Shows' area of the app
- There are multiple selectable emblements present throughout the application that do not have any accessibility labels associated to them.
- There are links present within the application that do not have Accessibility Labels associated to them.
- There are no heading on certain screens
- Visual headings are not programmatically determined.
- Content could not be accessed via keyboard or TalkBack commands
- Form elements do not have appropriate labels.
- Certain areas within the app rely on colour alone to convey information.
We are making every effort to overcome these limitations by improving their accessibility. If you experience any accessibility problems with our app, please contact us.
The following assistive technologies have found to be compatible with the app except for areas that have accessibility limitations.
- Bluetooth keyboard
- Text resizing capabilities
Further formation can be found in our accessibility help pages.
This app has been reviewed against level AA of the World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 (WCAG 2.1) and conforms wherever possible. These guidelines are the internationally recognised benchmark for building accessible web sites and apps. The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines explain how to make websites and apps more accessible for people with disabilities. Conformity to these guidelines also makes websites and apps more user-friendly for all people.
Such is our commitment to accessibility, we have requested a review of this app by the Digital Accessibility Centre. The app is constantly being improved in order to attain Digital Accessibility Centre accreditation.
For more information about Digital Accessibility Centre accessibility auditing, please visit the Digital Accessibility Centre website (opens in new window).
We are always looking for ways to help people get the best experience from this app.
If there is information you think that should be included on this page, or if you experience any problem accessing the app then please feel free to contact us.
You can call us on 0345 076 0191 or, for deaf viewers, we have a minicom text phone 0345 073 0059
You can also write to us at Channel 4 Enquiries, PO Box 1058, Belfast BT1 9DU.