Throughout Channel 4, there are ongoing initiatives that address environmental matters (e.g. saving water, saving energy and preventing pollution) and raising staff awareness (e.g. recycling waste and energy saving signage).
Channel 4 has set out a range of commitments to reduce its own impact on the environment. Our commitment to becoming more environmentally responsible includes the following measures:
- Channel 4 will commit to using 100% renewable energy supplies from April 2020 and maintain its promise for zero waste going to landfill
- Single use, unrecyclable plastics will be removed wherever possible from its Horseferry Road HQ canteen
- As a member of the BAFTA Albert Consortium, the leading initiative on sustainability for the film and television industries – and as a publisher-broadcaster that commissions all of its programming from the independent production industry – Channel 4 will mandate the use of the Albert calculator on all productions. We will be encouraging all suppliers to achieve Albert certification and will be exploring how to provide help especially to smaller suppliers in that process
- All Channel 4 staff will undergo Albert training
- Channel 4 will publish its first environment plan in 2020 with a view to becoming a carbon neutral business
- Launch of 4Earth, a group of environment ambassadors formed of staff across Channel 4 to help inspire change, on and off screen, at Channel 4
Corporate Services also has a thorough selection process when choosing suppliers and service partners, ensuring they only work with companies who also have corporate responsibility and environmental issues at the top of their agendas.