Channel 4's Future4 strategy builds upon our strong track record of digital innovation and will accelerate Channel 4’s pivot to digital by driving both online viewing and new revenues. It’s an ambitious and comprehensive plan to transform Channel 4 into a digital PSB that retains its distinctive brand and public service impact.
With a strong bias towards digital growth, Future4 will ensure that Channel 4 thrives in the digital age and continues to deliver for the creative industries, the economy and the wider public.
The Future4 strategy sets clear targets for the next five years:
- Double All 4 viewing by 2025
- Digital advertising to be at least 30% of total revenue by 2025
- Non-advertising to be at least 10% of total revenue by 2025
To achieve these targets and meet the challenges we face, Future4 has four key strategic pillars:
1. Content: Prioritise digital growth over linear ratings
A central goal of the Future4 strategy is to double All 4 viewing by 2025. To achieve this, we are dialling up our ambitions for All 4 and doubling down on the types of programmes that we know people love to binge on demand.
- Investing more in highly distinctive, young skewing formats, which are the engines of All 4’s success
- Using deeper audience insights to find shows that drive streaming
- Maximising use of our Leeds-based digital content hub, 4Studio, to produce more original shorts and grow branded digital entertainment
- Continuing to be as noisy and unruly as ever and finding new inventive and entertaining ways of engaging people with the most important issues
- Launching a £30 million Global Format Fund to invest in new British-created and produced content formats that have global potential
2. Viewers: Put viewers at the heart of our decision making
Viewers’ expectations are changing in a digital world. They expect Channel 4 to know how they watch, where they watch and why they watch. They expect more content, communications and experiences based on their motivations – not just their demographics.
- Using a more viewer-centric approach to inform activity and decisions across Channel 4
- Rolling out personalisation features on All 4, including smarter recommendations
- Evolving how we commission, schedule, plan and develop products, sell and market to put viewers at the heart
- Giving our channels a better connection between their editorial position and their brand
3. Commercial: Diversify new revenue streams to underpin our sustainability
We have clear commercial targets as part of the Future4 strategy: digital advertising to be at least 30% of total revenue and non-advertising to be at least 10% of total revenue by 2025.
- Innovating our core advertising proposition for a digital world through data driven targeting, including allowing clients to ‘bring their own data’ to target All 4 viewers via our BrandMatch offer
- Diversifying our revenue streams by making the most of our ad-free All 4+ proposition and scaling the Indie growth Fund and Channel 4 Ventures further, as well as launching new Global Format Fund
- Provide innovative creative opportunities for clients including ad break takeovers and branded social content
4. Partnerships: Focus on strategic partnerships to compete more effectively
Channel 4 has partnership in its DNA and our success is built upon working with other organisations, and this will become even more important in the future.
- Building upon our network and forging new arrangements to get our content in front of the right audiences, more of the time
- Further developing mutually beneficial collaboration in production, advertising, distribution and technology