Work continues today to identify the British victims of the Algerian siege and to repatriate their bodies as BP confirm 14 of their 18 staff are now safe.
Three of the six UK nationals thought to have died at the In Amenas plant have been formally named with 14 of the 18 BP employees who were at the In Amenas site now confirmed safe.
BP have said they are now in close contact with the families of the other four employees “offering support and assistance” and have said they do not currently intend to release information on the identities of these people.
Bob Dudley, group chief executive, said: “We have been gravely concerned for these colleagues and feared one or more fatalities among their number.”
“It is with great sadness that I now have to say that we fear the worst for them all. We are doing all we can to support their families and ask everyone to show them consideration and to respect their privacy.”
“BP offices around the world are holding a minute’s silence tomorrow, Wednesday, one week on from the terrorist attack, as a mark of respect for all of those who lost their lives at In Amenas.
The company has confirmed that 43 staff from various locations across Algeria have left the country since the kidnapping and BP is offering them assistance including medical and practical help.
BP emergency response teams in both Algeria and the UK are still managing the company’s response to the incident.
“The terrible events of last week have affected every one of us at BP deeply. Many of us have friends and colleagues, both in BP and in other companies, who have worked at In Amenas or in similar facilities. We are all thinking of our missing colleagues, those who endured the ordeal and their loved ones,” Dudley added.
“We are mindful that many others – from partners, contractors and other companies – have died or remain unaccounted for. Our thoughts are also with their families, friends and loved ones at this time.”
Some BP personnel have returned to the site to support efforts to gather information on the tragic events.
David Cameron is chairing a meeting of the National Security Council as the Government considers upping logistical support for the French-led military campaign against rebels in Mali.
The Prime Minister has insisted the UK will not seek a combat role but armed forces units have been reportedly placed on high readiness to deploy.