2 shop bought madeira cakes
60ml orange liquor
150ml fresh orange juice
100g 70% cocoa solid chocolate
50g flaked, toasted almonds
50g roasted, skinned hazelnuts
100g icing sugar
450ml double cream, whipped
100g mixed dried peel
melted chocolate and cream to serve
1. Line a 1.5 litre round bottomed bowl/ basin with cling film.
2. Trim the cake and cut into slices.
3. Dip into the combined booze and fruit juice and line the basin until all the inside is covered.
4. Fold the sugar into the cream.
5. Mix the chocolate and nuts with 1/3 of the cream.
6. Combine the remaining cream with the peel spoon into the bowl, make a hollow, spoon in the chocolate cream.
7. Cover the top with more dipped cake. Cover and chill for 24 hours.
8. To serve turn the cake onto a plate, pour over the melted chocolate, then cut generous pieces and eat with yet more cream