These recipes were provided by John Gregory-Smith

Sujuk and Cheese Pide

Makes 2 pide


300g plain white flour

7g sachet of fast action dried yeast

1 tsp. sugar

2 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. olive oil

100 -120ml warm water

120g sujuk, thinly sliced into ¼ cm pieces

1 tomato fine chopped

200g grated mozzarella cheese

20g melted butter


1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the yeast, sugar and salt. Stir together. Add the oil and water, starting with 100ml of water and adding more if necessary until combined into a dough. Tip onto a floured board and knead the dough for 5-6 minutes until shiny and soft. Place into an oiled mixing bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave for to rise for 30 minutes in a cool place.

2. Pre heat the oven to 220. Divide the dough into two and roll both out into a large oval shape, about 40cm long and 25cm wide on a clean, floured surface. Place each one onto a baking sheet, lined with baking paper.

3. Make two lines of sujuk down the middle of each pide. Cover with the tomatoes and then cheese, leaving a good inch gap around the edge of the filling. Mix up the filling, so that you have some of the sujuk and tomato on top of the cheese and some covered.

4. Now fold the sides that you have created into the centre of the pide, covering some of the filling. Gently press the sides down with your fingers to stop it rising too much in the oven. You should have a long boat shape with about 2 inches of the filling exposed.

5. Pop both pide into the hot oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden.

6. Meanwhile, melt the butter and brush generously over the cooked pide, Serve immediately.

Kilis Kebab - Twice cooked aubergine

Serves 4-6


For the sauce

2 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

½ tsp allspice

½ tsp black pepper

½ tsp Turkish pepper flakes

6 tomatoes, finely chopped

3 tbsp red pepper paste

2 tbsp tomato puree

A small handful of finely chopped parsley leaves

Sea salt

For the kebab

500g fatty lamb mince

1 onion, grated

A small handful of finely chopped parsley leaves

1 tsp allspice

½ tsp black pepper

2 aubergines, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks

2 tbsp olive oil

Sea salt


1. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until a little golden. Add the garlic, allspice, black pepper and Turkish pepper flakes. Mix well. Tip in the tomatoes and add a good pinch of salt. Mix well and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the pepper paste, tomato puree and 120ml of just boiled water. Mix well. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes until you have a lovely thick sauce.

2. Meanwhile, heat the BBQ to high and put the lamb, onion, parsley, allspice, black pepper and good pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. Mix well and roll into 20 meatballs. Alternately, thread the lamb and aubergines onto flat metal skewers. Brush with olive oil and grill for 2-3 minutes on two sides. You want a lovely smoky, charred outside but not cooked through.

3. Remove the lamb and aubergines from the skewers and place them into the sauce. Pour over 100m of just boiled water so that the sauce just covers everything and gently mix together. Cover and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the aubergines are tender and the sauce is really rich and thick. Scatter the parsley over the top and serve immediately.

Chocolate and Halva Mosaic Cake

Serves 10-12


100ml whole milk

6 tbsp caster sugar

250g dark chocolate, broken up

50g butter

200g rich tea biscuits

100g walnuts, bashed into a rubble

100g halva, crumbled into large pieces

Coco powder to serve

Sea salt


1. Pour the milk into a small saucepan and add the sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix together and bring to a simmer over a low-medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.

2. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and butter together in bain marie or microwave.

3. Put the biscuits into a large mixing bowl and crush them into a course rubble with your hands. I find doing 3-4 at a time best. Pour over the milk and mix together into a claggy mess. Add the walnuts, halva and melted chocolate and mix together so that everything is coated in the chocolate.

4. Lay a large piece of cling film out onto a clean work surface and tip the mixture into the centre. Shape into a log and roll up tightly in the cling film. Place into the fridge and set for 2-3 hours. Remove from the fridge to soften about 10 minutes before serving. Slice into 1cm pieces. Dust with coco powder and serve immedia