115g unsalted butter, softened
3 egg yolks
570g plain flour
1/2 cup currants, soaked in warm water for 1 hour and drained
1/2 cup of candied fruit
2 oranges, zested
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 220°c.
2. Butter and flour an 8-inch round deep cake pan or panettone mold. In a mixer, cream the butter with the eggs and egg yolks until pale yellow, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Replace the beater with the dough hook attachment, and with the mixer running, add half of the flour.
4. Add half the milk and mix for 1 minute.
5. Add the remaining flour followed by the remaining milk and all of the sugar and mix well.
6. Continue mixing and kneading with the dough hook until the dough becomes dry enough to handle.
7. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and sprinkle with the currants, orange zest, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Knead by hand for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Place the dough in the prepared pan and bake for 1-1.25 hours, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. The top will be quite cracked. Remove from the oven, invert onto a rack and cool. Slice into wedges to serve.
Seeds from ½ vanilla pod
50g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp Marsala, or to taste
150ml double cream
1. Beat the mascarpone with the vanilla seeds and icing sugar.
2. Beat in the Marsala.
3. In a separate bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks.
4. Fold the cream into the mascarpone mixture.
3 large oranges
1tbsp of brandy
1. Peel the oranges and cut the oranges into segments removing all pith.
2. Heat the sugar without stirring until it turns light golden. Add the oranges and brandy.
3. Pour the caramel and oranges into a ceramic dish and bake in an oven for 10 mins at 170°c. Take out and leave to cool. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with the cream di mascarpone and panettone.
If you make this, or any other recipe from the show, send us a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org