Oil, for frying
300g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons icing sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
275ml whole milk
100g strawberry milkshake powder
1. Start by heating some oil gently in a small pan, just big enough to fry one cake at a time. The oil should come halfway up the sides. I do these in a small pan so that I don’t use up too much oil every time I fry.
2. Put the flour, icing sugar, baking powder, milk and eggs into a bowl and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
3. Now there are a few ways of making these: you can place all the mixture in a ziplock bag and snip about 5mm off the end. Or you can use a squeezy bottle, although you don’t want to squirt anything quickly into oil. I prefer to use a ziplock bag, and when I need to put it down I just use a bag clip to stop the flow.
4. In one smooth motion, squeeze out the mixture in rounds, making sure that the batter connects to itself so it has something to hold on to. It should look like a spindly doughnut. Fry for roughly 1 minute on each side, or
5. until golden brown. Have a tray lined with kitchen paper at the ready, to drain the funnel cakes. As soon as they come out of the hot oil, sprinkle them generously with the strawberry milkshake powder and get frying the next one