This recipe has been provided by our Guest Chef Sophie Michell.
Butter or vegetable oil, for greasing
4 tbsp Xylitol
8 free-range egg whites
200ml double cream 1 tsp vanilla extract
200g Xylitol icing sugar
1 tsp rosewater
splash of water to get to icing
(rose petals and pistachios to decorate)
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 5/6-inch cake tin.
2. Blitz the pistachios and half the Xylitol in a blender until fine and powdery.
3. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and then gently, one spoonful at a time, with whisking in between, add the remaining Xylitol and whisk until stiff. Then fold in the powdered nut mix and mix well.
4. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes, then cool.
5. When cooled completely, whisk the double cream and vanilla together to form soft peaks.
6. Slice the cake VERY carefully horizontally across into three layers (it is extremely delicate, so please be gentle).
7. Spread half of the cream mix on the bottom layer, then place another layer of cake and cream and place the final cake layer on top.
8. To make the icing, whisk the icing sugar, rosewater and water together, then drizzle over the cake and decorate with rose petals and pistachios.