2 tbsp oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
75ml soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and chopped
¼ bunch thyme
2 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped
1.5 litres water
Salt & pepper to taste, (big pinch of each)
1.2 kg potatoes
Large knob of butter
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons of cream
Salt and pepper
Cheddar cheese, grated
CARROT & PEA SALAD
2 cups frozen peas
4 carrots, peeled
2 radishes, sliced
¼ head of cauliflower
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 lemon, juice
Salt and pepper
GRAVY (to serve with pie)
25g cup flour
braising liquid from oxtail
1. Make marinade with spring onion, garlic, thyme, ginger, pepper & soy sauce - then add to the oxtail and rub in
2. Over High heat brown the meat for about 6 minutes
3. Add water, enough to just cover meat, cover until boiling
4. Cook uncovered over medium heat until meat is tender (approximately 2- 3 hours, or until the meat is tender)
5. Add salt and pepper to taste
6. Whilst the oxtail is cooking, peel and chop potatoes into small pieces then boil with crushed garlic cloves until tender (approximately 12 mins). Drain the water and remove the garlic cloves before mashing potatoes with butter and cream, season with salt and pepper.
7. Allow oxtail to cool and then remove meat from the bone but keep the braising liquid for the gravy.
8. Assemble the shepherds pies with oxtail at the bottom of a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes and finally a healthy amount of cheddar cheese.
9. Bake shepherd’s pie at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes or until you see it bubbling and cheese melted.
10. For the gravy, melt butter in a pan and whisk in flour to form a paste (or roux)
11. Cook over medium heat for a minute before adding the braising liquid from the oxtail gradually, while whisking, until a gravy consistency is reached.
12. While the pie is baking make the salad by soaking peas in cold water, shredding carrots, slicing radishes and cauliflower thinly.
13. Whisk oil, vinegar and lemon juice in a boil and toss in all the vegetables.
14. Serve shepherd’s pie with salad.