20g unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp tomato purée
200g button mushrooms, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
150g red split lentils
400ml vegetable stock
100g fine breadcrumbs (dried or fresh)
150g mixed unsalted nuts, coarsely chopped
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
100g mature Cheddar cheese,
grated handful of finely chopped coriander, about 3 tbsp
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/gas mark 4. Grease the inside of a 900g loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Put the butter, garlic, onion, tomato purée, mushroom, pepper, carrot and salt in a large pan. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, until everything has softened.
3. Add the paprika, lentils and vegetable stock and cook for 10 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated.
4. Take the mixture off the heat and transfer to a large bowl. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
5. Mix in the breadcrumbs, nuts, eggs, cheese and coriander. Make sure everything is incorporated, then spoon it into the tin, packing it all in nice and tight.
6. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. It should be firm on top when cooked.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
8. Serve with roasted tomato sauce, recipe below
800g ripe tomatoes, quartered
50ml olive oil
½ tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
large handful of parsley, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C fan/gas mark 7.
2. Put the tomatoes, oil, salt, sugar, garlic and balsamic vinegar into a large roasting pan.
3. Give everything a good stir and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, give everything another good stir and place it back in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Carefully spoon the mixture into a blender. Add the parsley and blitz to a smooth paste. You can add a little trickle of water if necessary to loosen the sauce.
7. Serve while still warm. If serving later, gently warm it up in a small pan first.
If you make this or any other recipe from the show, send us a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org