2 tbsp oil
4 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
1 cinnamon stick, about 5cm
1 star anise
4 round shallots, finely sliced
15g ginger, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 sprig fresh curry leaves
750g mutton, cut into 2 inch cubes
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp tamarind concentrate
185ml coconut milk
For the curry paste
3 tbsp Malaysian curry powder or you can use Madras curry powder
½ tsp fennel seeds, toasted and then ground
3 tbsp water
1. Mix the curry paste ingredients together and form a paste. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in wok or pan, add cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick and fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Add shallots, curry leaves, ginger, garlic and fry till shallots have softened. Add curry paste and fry for a further minute
3. Add mutton and fry for 5 minutes until the pinkness is gone. Add water, salt and tamarind concentrate Bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Stir from time to time. If it is getting too dry before the mutton is tender, add a little water.
4. Add coconut milk and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes or till mutton is tender.
5. Serve with rice and traditional accompaniments
If you make this, or any other recipe from the show, send us a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org and we could show it on Sunday morning