1 fresh bay leaf
1 sprig of fresh rosemary 2 cloves of garlic extra virgin olive oil
2 x 150g free-range chicken breasts, skin on
1 bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley (30g)
1 bunch of fresh mint (30g)
1 bunch of fresh basil (30g)
50g blanched whole almonds
30g Parmesan cheese
40g ricotta salata
1. Place the bay leaf into a pestle and mortar with a pinch of sea salt, strip in the rosemary leaves, peel and add 1 clove of garlic, then pound to a rough paste. Muddle in 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, then season with black pepper.
2. Place the chicken into a shallow dish, pour over the marinade, turning to coat, then leave to marinate for at least 1 hour.
3. To make the pesto, pick the parsley, mint and basil leaves into a food processor, add the almonds, peel and add the remaining garlic, then blitz to a paste.
4. Drizzle in 150ml of extra virgin olive oil, pulse to combine, then transfer to a bowl. Finely grate the Parmesan and coarsely grate the ricotta, then mix together. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Place a griddle pan over a high heat. Once hot, lay the chicken into the pan, skin-side down, then use a weight to press it down – this will give you beautiful crispy skin.
6. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden and cooked through, turning regularly, then remove to a tray to rest. Dress with a little extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
7. Spoon a generous dollop of pesto into the centre of each plate (save any leftovers for another day). Slice the chicken in half at an angle, place on top, then pour over any resting juices.
8. Dress the rocket in a little lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, and place on the side. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Recipe © Jamie Oliver for Jamie’s Italian.