This recipe was provided by our guest chef April Jackson.
2kg 3-joint chicken wings
3 heaped tablespoons wet jerk seasoning
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon chilli powder
½ tablespoon salt
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon wet jerk seasoning
2 limes, juiced
Handful coriander, chopped finely
Handful mint, chopped finely
½ scotch bonnet, chopped finely
2-inch knob of ginger, chopped finely
1 scallion/spring onion, chopped finely
CHUNKY CASSAVA CHIPS
Salt to taste
3 tbsp coconut oil
VEGAN SPICY GARLIC MAYO
1/4 cup chickpea water (aquafaba)
1 teaspoon mustard
1 generous pinch of salt
½ lemon, juice
1.5 apple cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tablespoon chilli sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Marinate wings with all the seasoning, and set aside in the fridge (ideally overnight).
2. Cook wings in the oven at 200C, spread evenly in baking tray for 45 mins.
3. For the honey-jerk sauce, mix all the ingredients.
4. For the garnish mix all the herbs and spice in bowl.
5. Peel cassava, cut into 4, remove inner stem and then cut into 4” length pieces.
6. Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook cassava until it is tender (about 15 minutes).
7. Remove and coat cassava in coconut oil and lay on parchment paper before baking for 30 minutes at 220C until golden. Season with salt before serving.
8. For the garlic mayo, mix all the ingredients except garlic, oil and chilli sauce in a bowl with a hand blender, until foamy. Slowly add olive oil while mixing until thick mayo forms, then add garlic and chilli and continue mixing until everything is incorporated.
9. Fry chicken wings (you can put them under the grill if you don’t have a deep fat fryer) for 4 minutes and the toss in honey-jerk sauce and sprinkle garnish.