4 thick gammon steaks
vegetable oil, for cooking
4 duck eggs
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the gherkin gravy:
100g pancetta, diced
1 onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, grated
1?2 tsp chilli powder
1?4 tsp cayenne pepper
1?4 tsp smoked paprika
2 large dill pickles, sliced into discs, plus 50ml pickle liquor from the jar
250ml chicken gravy
60g pork scratchings, lightly crushed
dill to garnish
1. First, start making the gherkin gravy. Place the pancetta in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat until it renders its fat and becomes crisp. Scoop it out with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion to the pan and sweat gently, stirring from time to time for about 10 minutes until soft.
3. While the onion is cooking, preheat the grill to hot. Grill the gammon steaks for 3–4 minutes each side and then keep warm.
4. Once the onion is softened, add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring for a minute. Sprinkle in the chilli powder, cayenne and smoked paprika and cook for 2–3 minutes. Add the dill pickle liquor and chicken gravy and bring to the boil. Stir in the reserved pancetta, sliced pickles and pork scratchings. Keep warm.
5. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the duck eggs until the whites are set, and a little crispy at the edges if you like. Season with salt, pepper and the dried chilli flakes.
6. Place a gammon steak on each warmed plate and top with a fried egg.
7. Spoon on the gravy and scatter over the dill. Serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, or any other from the show, please send a picture to email@example.com!