2–3 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
4 mackerel fillets
1 large chicory bulb, halved lengthways
knob of butter
juice of 1 lemon
For the salad
1 radicchio, finely shredded
1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted until golden in a dry frying pan
1 tbsp chopped tarragon
finely grated zest of 1/2 orange
For the Caesar dressing
1 free-range egg yolk
3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
1 garlic clove, grated
1?2 tsp Dijon mustard
1?2 tbsp white wine vinegar
150ml fridge-cold vegetable oil
45g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
?1 tbsp lemon juice
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1. To make dressing, put the egg yolk, anchovies, garlic, mustard and wine vinegar in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
2. With the motor still running, slowly add the cold oil until the mixture emulsifies. Stir in the grated Parmesan and lemon juice and season with cayenne pepper. Transfer to a container, seal and refrigerate if you’re not using it right away.
3. For the salad, put the radicchio, pine nuts, tarragon and orange zest into a large bowl.
4. Add 2–3 tablespoons of the dressing and toss to coat.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add a generous splash of olive oil. When hot, lay the mackerel fillets in the pan, skin side down, and fry without moving until crisp around the edges for 2–3 minutes. Remove from the pan- the fillets may still be raw on top.
6. Place the chicory in the hot frying pan, cut side down, adding a little more oil if needed. Cook for 2–3 minutes until it starts to colour.
7. Add the butter then return the fish to the pan, skin side up. Add the lemon juice. Baste the fish and chicory with the lemony, buttery liquor, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
8. Divide the radicchio, chicory and fish between plates and serve with the remaining dressing.
If you make this recipe, or any other from the show, please send a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org!