225g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
approx 150ml sour cream
1 finely grated raw beetroot
2tsp poppy seeds
For the beetroot jam
4 cooked beets
1 very finely diced onion
150ml red wine vinegar
225g demarera sugar
1 tbsp picked thyme
For the goats cheese pate
175g soft goats cheese
100g ricotta, drained
zest half lemon
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Rub in the butter until the mixture forms breadcrumbs, and then mix in the egg.
3. Pour in the milk and mix until the dough comes together, then fold in the beets and seeds.
4. Roll the dough out on a floured board and cut into 75mm rounds. Bake at 220°C for about 12 minutes, then leave to cool a little.
5. To make the beetroot jam, first fry the onion in oil for 5 minutes until soft. Next chop the beetroot and add it to the pan.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, then puree and season the mix well.
7. To make the pate, simply beat all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
8. Serve the scones cut in half, topped with jam and pate.