Unsalted butter 115 grams
Dark brown sugar 1 tablespoon
Honey 2 teaspoons
Granulated sugar 100 grams
Kosher Salt ½ teaspoon
All-purpose flour, sifted 120 grams
Baking powder ½ teaspoon
3 Whole eggs (large), at room temperature
Grated lemon zest ½ lemon
Grated orange zest ½ orange
Nonstick cooking spray as needed
Icing sugar ( for serving)
One day before
Make the batter
1. Melt the butter, brown sugar, and honey in a medium pot over low heat. Stir gently with a heatproof spatula to ensure that nothing burns. Keep the mixture warm over very low heat, or reheat if necessary.
2. Combine the granulated sugar, salt, flour, and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well with a whisk. Form a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the eggs one by one, whisking to incorporate each before adding the next.
3. When the eggs are fully incorporated and the batter is smooth, slowly whisk in the butter mixture. Whisk in the lemon and orange zests. The batter will still be runny and similar in consistency to cake batter. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the batter, to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate overnight to rest.
1.Place a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) for conventional or 350ºF (175ºC) for convection.
2. Using a rubber spatula, place 2 large scoops of batter in a piping bag so that it is one-third full. Push the batter down toward the tip of the bag.
3. Cut an opening about ½ inch (1.25 cm) straight across the tip of the bag.
4. Hold the nonstick cooking spray about 4 inches (10 cm) away from a nonstick mini madeleine pan and spray evenly in all the cavities.
5. Holding the piping bag at a 90-degree angle about ½ inch (1.25 cm) above the pan, pipe the madeleine batter into the cavities so that it fills each about three-quarters of the way to the top.
6. Bake the madeleines for 2 to 2½ minutes on the centre rack. When you see the batter puff up in the centre, rotate the pan 180 degrees. Bake for 2 to 2½ minutes more, until the sides of the madeleines are golden blond and the centre has set.
7. Unmold immediately. Bang the corner or sides of the madeleine pan against your work surface so that the fresh madeleines drop out.
If you make this, or any other recipe from the show, send us a picture to email@example.com