180g pearl barley
1 garlic clove
750ml veg stock (may need extra water too)
tbs soy sauce
tbs aged balsamic
1 sliced avocado
3 sliced spring onions
10g nigella seeds
garnish with baby herbs, 100g toasted chopped hazelnuts.
1. Rinse the barley until the water runs clear (about 3 minutes) drain well
2. Heat tbs oil in a pan and fry the garlic for 3 minutes until golden in parts, then add the barley.
3. Add the stock and bring to the boil
4. Simmer for 25 minutes until very thick and soft
5. Cool slightly and blend about 40% until smooth. Fold back into the pan and season. Cool until you can handle it
6. Mould into flatish patties about 10-12cm
7. Now fry in oil for 3 minutes each side, drain
8. Dressing - Melt the butter and keep heating until the butter begins to turn nut brown, about 4-5 minutes.
9. Whisk in the vinegar, oil, honey etc. Season
10. Serve cakes topped with avocado and spring onions, spoon over dressing and garnish with chopped toasted hazelnuts