This recipe was provided by our Guest Chef Jack Stein
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped (1 kept separate)
225g plum tomatoes, chopped
100ml dry white wine
1 teaspoon caster sugar
¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
450g white crab meat
100g brown crab meat
50g white breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus a little for serving
salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan. Add the onions and the larger amount of chopped garlic and sweat gently until soft.
2. Increase the heat and add the tomatoes, wine, sugar, chilli flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the mixture has reduced to a thick sauce. Remove from the heat.
3. Stir in the crab meat and transfer to a large, shallow baking tray. Leave to cool. Mix the breadcrumbs, butter, parsley and remaining garlic together and spread this over the top of the crab mixture.
4. Place the dish or tray under a grill, set at low, to brown on top, around 30 seconds or so.
5. Serve the shangurro in empty crab shells, if you have them, or in shallow bowls, and scatter with some extra parsley.