50g salted butter
300g minced beef
1 small white onion or shallot
1 inch fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 small dried chilies, chopped
100g smoked bacon lardons
100g chorizo, cut into small pieces
150ml red wine
1 x 400g tin cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp fresh or dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
50g dark chocolate, grated
400g kidney beans
For the jalapeño & cheese scones
225g white plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
50g salted butter, chilled and cubed
125g mature cheddar cheese, grated
2 fresh jalapeño chillies
1. Place a casserole dish over a medium heat. Add 25g / 0.5oz of butter, and stir in the minced beef, cook until browned. Then remove the browned minced beef to a plate.
2. Add the rest of the butter to the casserole dish and stir in the onion, fresh ginger and garlic. Allow to cook for two minutes, then stir in the ground cumin, cinnamon and dried chili and cook for another minute. Next stir in the bacon lardons and chorizo, and cook while stirring for three minutes to get them lovely and crispy.
3. Return the browned minced beef to the dish, and stir well. Pour in the wine, stir and allow to cook for another two minutes. Then add the cherry tomatoes, water, brown sugar, oregano, bay leaves and ketchup. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir well. Cover and allow to cook for two hours on a low heat.
4. To make the jalapeño and cheese scones, sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
5. Then stir in half of the grated cheese, followed half of the finely chopped jalapeño chillies. Gradually pour in the milk and use a fork to make a soft dough. You could also use buttermilk if you wish.
6. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of 1cm. Cut into six triangles and place on a floured baking tray and sprinkle the remaining cheese and jalapeños on top.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C / Gas Mark 6 / 400°F for 15 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
8. Remove the lid of the chili and stir in the dark chocolate and kidney beans. Leave to simmer for another 15 minutes and then serve with the jalapeño and cheese scones.
If you make this, or any other recipe from the show, send us a picture to email@example.com