For the Pastry:
225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
75g chilled butter, cubed
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
Filling – 500g trimmed beef shoulder
4 cloves garlic
1 diced onion
4 tomatoes, chopped
4 dried chillies
4 dried arbol chillies
Approx. 200ml boiling water
1. Pastry -Mix the flour, turmeric, chilli flakes, butter & salt in a food processor, pulse until crumbly.
2, Add the milk & egg yolk & pulse together until it forms dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface & knead for a few minutes- leave to chill for an hour.
4. Remove pastry from the fridge & roll into circles of 4-inch diameter.
5. Filling – fry the chilies in a dry pan for 3mins. Put in a bowl with the tomatoes, add boiling water. Leave for 20mins.
6. Puree with a little of the water.
7. put the beef, salt, garlic., bay leaves and onion turmeric etc in a pan. Cover with water, bring to the boil. Put in a 180c oven, covered for 31/2 hrs.
8. Remove, shred and add the pureed chilli, then leave to cool.
9. add a spoonful of the mix to the center of each round of pastry. Fold over and seal. Brush with egg wash.
10. bake at 180c for approx. 20mins.
11. Serve with sour cream and lime.