This recipe was provided by our Guest Chef Jamie Oliver.
1 x 2kg whole chicken
20 cloves of garlic
20 fresh bay leaves
20 fresh mixed- colour chillies
100ml red wine vinegar
Optional: 1 tbsp runny honey
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Put a large ovenproof frying pan on a high heat.
2. Joint the chicken, placing the pieces in the pan skin side down as you go, along with 2 tbsp of oil.
3. Fry for 15minutes, turning regularly until all the pieces are lovely and golden all over.
4. Make some space in the pan, then add the whole unpeeled garlic cloves and the bay leaves. Prick and add the chillies.
5. Fry for 2 minutes, mix everything together, then pour in the vinegar, add a splash of water and season well.
6. Cover with a scrunched-up sheet of wet greaseproof paper and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Sometimes I drizzle over honey when it comes out of the oven.
7. To serve, divide up the chicken between your plates. Peel the chillies, scrape out the seeds, then chop the flesh and to taste, stir it back through the pan juices.
8. Squeeze the sweet garlic out of its skins into the pan, stir together, then spoon as much as you like over the chicken. Delicious with a simple side salad and a loaf of good bread. Sometimes I serve the chicken on a platter, then toss freshly cooked spaghetti through the pan juices to enjoy on the side- a very delicious option.