800g shortcrust pastry (shop bought)
1ltr fresh chicken stock
1tbsp English mustard
150g diced pancetta
800g chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
25g tarragon (picked and chopped)
300g chestnut mushrooms
60g plain flour
60ml double cream
3g table salt
1 egg yolk (for glazing)
1. 23cm springform cake tin
2. Pastry brush
3. Rolling pin
4. Medium sized sauce pot
1. Put the chicken in a medium pot with the stock and 3g table salt and bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, add the mushrooms and pancetta and cook for a further 5 minutes
2. Strain chicken, pancetta and mushrooms off through a colander into another pot and reduce the stock by half, skimming off any excess fat that rises to the top as it comes back to a simmer. Leave the chicken to cool slighlty then slice each thigh into three.
3. Roll out 500g of the pastry into a large disc 0.5cm thick and the remaining pastry into a disc the same thickness, line a tray with baking parchment and chill the pastry in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, clean out the first medium pot and then warm the butter and flour together over a medium heat in it. When the butter starts to bubble reduce the heat to a low temperature and cook for 6 minutes, stirring often.
5. Slowly add the stock a ladle at a time, allowing to thicken and smooth with stirring each time till all stock is combined. Add double cream and mustard and bring back to simmer and cook for a further 4 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. Fold the chicken, pancetta and mushroom into the sauce and the spread the whole mix onto an oven tray to cool quickly. Once room temperature pop the tray into the fridge for 10 minutes to cool further. Remove from fridge and mix in chopped tarragon.
7. Butter the inside of the cake tin, line with the large disc of pastry, pushing it firmly into the sides and corners and leave a 3cm overlap on the edge, trimming any excess with scissors. Place in a freezer for 10 minutes to set hard.
8. Add mix to cold pie case and seal lid on by crimping together and egg wash with the yolk
9. Bake for 55 minutes at 190c, turning the pie halfway through the cook. Pop out of springform tin to serve.