For the chicken
approx. 500g chicken breasts
2 bay leaves
approx. 400ml chicken stock
For the rest of the filling
2 avocados, mashed
juice 1 lime
half finely diced red pepper
4 finely chopped spring onions
12 chopped sliced jalapeños
20g chopped coriander
For the arepas
375g white cornmeal
500-700ml warm water
oil to fry
Serve with limes and tortilla chips.
1. Start with the chicken- bring the stock, bay and salt to the boil, then turn right down, add the chicken and poach for approx. 25mins. Cool, then shred.
2. Mix the chicken with the other filling ingredients
3. To make the arepas, add the cornmeal in to a bowl with the salt. Gradually add enough water to form a firm dough. Rest for 5 mins.
4. Roll into 8 balls, press flat, fry for 3 mins each side.
5. Then transfer to a tray and bake at 180°c for 15-20 minutes
6. Cool, slit in half, and pack with the filling
7. Serve with more limes and tortilla chips
If you make this, or any other recipe from the show, send us a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org