1 x 14lb turkey, giblets removed
100g butter, cut into thin slices
100ml olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic,
zest 1 orange
125g soft dark brown sugar
few sprigs thyme
1. Pat the turkey dry.
2. Loosen the skin and slide the butter under the skin.
3. Brush the turkey with oil inside and out,
4. Chop/crush/blend the herbs and orange zest and sprinkle inside and out
5. Chop some carrots, onion, leeks and place in the bottom of a roasting tin
6. Place the turkey on top. Cover loosely with foil
7. Roast at 170c for 2 hours
8. Melt the butter, sugar and maple together with the thyme.
9. After 2 hours remove the turkey from the oven and brush all over with the glaze.
10. Keep glazing the turkey every 15mins or so.
11. After 1 1/2 more hours turn the temperature up to 190c for a further 30mins.
12. Take out of the oven, test that the juices run clear or test with a probe that the temperature has reached 75c in the thickest part of the bird and and rest for 15 mins before carving.