Ingredients (serves 4)
Oil for gridding
Salt and pepper
Juice 1 lemon
Filling - 350 buffalo mozzarella
1 tsp chilli flakes
75g finely grated Italian veggie hard cheese, grated
Pesto – bunch basil leaves
Tbs pine nuts
125g Italian veggie hard cheese - grated
175ml extra virgin olive oil
12 sun blush tomatoes
1 clove garlic
50ml double cream
1. Cut the top and bottom off the aubergines and slice lengthways about the width of a pound coin.
2. Season well and brush each side with olive oil. Let them sit for about 5 mins then griddle on a very hot griddle pan until charred on each side.
3. For the pesto – in a processor, blend the nuts, garlic and toms, then add the basil, cheese and oil. Check for any seasoning, then add the cream.
4. To serve – lay out the slices of aubergine, sprinkle on grated cheese, then mozzarella, then chilli.
5. Secure with a cocktail stick, drizzle with a little more oil and bake at 180 c for about 5 mins to just warm through.
6. Use 2 or 3 rolls per serving, squeeze over some lemon juice and top with the creamy red pesto (this can be cold or warmed gently in a pan).