Premium Rate Competition Terms and Conditions
1. These premium rate competition terms and conditions (together with any specific rules set out in PRS Competition Notices as defined below) are the competition rules ("Rules") and apply to those premium rate competitions (each a “PRS Competition”) taking place on certain of our television channels and on our website at Channel4.com. You will be charged a premium rate cost to enter PRS Competitions via certain routes of entry, unless otherwise expressly stated. By entering a PRS Competition, entrants agree to be bound by the Rules.
2. The promoter of the PRS Competitions is Channel Four Television Corporation of 124 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2TX ("Channel 4").
3. Each PRS Competition will have specific additional applicable terms that will be set out in the specific competition page on channel4.com ("PRS Competition Notice") and are incorporated into the Rules. In the event of differences between these terms and conditions and the PRS Competition Notice, the PRS Competition Notice shall prevail.
4. Details of how to enter each PRS Competition will be advertised on the Channel 4 programme in which the relevant PRS Competition is featured (“Competition Information”) including the closing date and time, any information that must be submitted along with each entry and any premium rate entry costs that may apply.
5. You may only enter a PRS Competition after the opening time and before the closing time for each PRS Competition as listed in the Competition Information (“Competition Window”).
6. The possible routes for entry for each PRS Competition will be set out in the Competition Information which may include any (but not necessarily all of) the following:
i. Text/SMS Entry: To enter by SMS you should send your SMS with your entry submission to the short code provided in the Competition Information. The SMS you send will be charged at the standard rate for your network operator (please check with your network operator for details). We will then send you an SMS reply acknowledging the receipt of your entry at which point you will be charged the premium rate cost set out in the Competition Information. In the event that we are unable to deliver this reply within the Competition Window because you have insufficient funds, credit or capacity on your phone, your entry will not be accepted.
ii. Telephone Call: To enter by telephone you should call the phone number provided in the Competition Information and follow the recorded instructions. The premium rate cost for this call will be provided in the Competition Information and is based on using BT Network landline phone. Calls from other networks may vary and calls from mobiles will be considerably more (please check with your network provider for exact costs).
iv. Postal Entry: If a PRS Competition has postal entry available you must follow the instructions on how to enter provided in the Competition Information. You must ensure your entry is sent on a postcard or on the back of a sealed envelope (no bigger than C5 size) with a 1st or 2nd class stamp. Your entry must be marked with the following details:
a) the correct competition identifier of the specific PRS Competition you wish to enter;
b) the letter for your answer to that PRS Competition (if a competition question was asked);
c) your name; and
d) a daytime contact telephone number
Only 1 entry will be accepted per postage stamp.
7. Certain PRS Competitions will have a maximum number of times you may enter per PRS Competition entry method which will be specified in the PRS Competition Notice. The number of entries is identified by the phone number you use/provide when entering the PRS Competition. For SMS and Telephone entries you will be charged the premium rate for each entry up until the maximum cap. For any attempts to submit additional SMS entries above the cap, you will be charged by your network operator at your standard message rate but you will not be charged the premium rate and your additional entries will not count as a valid entry. If for any technical reason the cap fails and you exceed the maximum number of permitted entries, you will be charged the premium rate for any additional SMS and Telephone entries (in addition to your standard message rate), however your additional entries will remain in the winner selection pool.
8. If you do not wish to receive further marketing information from Channel 4 when you enter by SMS you must add NOINFO to the end of your entry. If you do not add NOINFO you will automatically be opted in to the Channel 4 marketing database. You can unsubscribe from our SMS database at any time by sending STOP to the shortcode you used when entering the PRS Competition.
9. Channel 4 reserves the right to disallow entries if it has reasonable grounds to suspect that fraudulent bulk entries have been cast (i.e. more entries than a human being could possibly submit in the time available without the use of software or other devices designed to make automated entries). Channel 4 also reserves the right to disqualify entrants or award the prize to another winner if we subsequently discover an entrant has intentionally evaded applicable charges upon entry.
10. Channel 4 is committed to operating fair and consistent competitions. Channel 4 is not responsible for nor can it guarantee any entry made via any entry method other than direct entries via the official SMS, Telephone and website/postal entry routes, or where circumstances are outside its control.
11. Under no circumstances will there be a refund for any valid PRS Competition entry or for any misdialled calls or misdirected SMS texts. If you believe you are entitled to a refund please contact us to discuss this further.
12. If you are not the bill payer, you must get permission from the bill payer before making an entry.
13. Entries cast outside of the Competition Window will not be counted. Arrangements have been put into place to ensure that you will not be charged by us for the premium rate cost outside of the Competition Window except for any Orange network contract customers calling the Telephone entry line with their mobile device who may still be charged the premium rate. You will still be charged by your network operator for the standard rate cost for sending an SMS entry outside of the Competition Window. Please contact your network provider or Channel 4 if you believe you have been charged the premium rate cost for a call or SMS made outside of the Competition window.
14. At times, due to circumstances which are outside the control of Channel 4 such as poor weather, a spike in traffic, high entry volumes or planned or unplanned systems maintenance, you may not be able to register your entry. Channel 4 is not liable to entrants who are unable to register an entry for such reasons.
15. PRS Competitions are only open to UK residents-including the Channel Islands and Isle of Man (’UK’) SAVE that the SMS route of entry will not be available to residents of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Entrants must be aged 18 years or over. Channel 4 reserves the right to disallow entries if they have reasonable grounds to suspect they have been made from outside the UK.
16. Employees (or households of employees) of Channel 4, any company that Channel 4 deems to be too closely connected to Channel 4 or any company involved in a PRS Competition including, if relevant, the production company which has made the television programme to which a PRS Competition relates, are not eligible to enter the PRS Competition. Channel 4 reserves the right not to award a prize (and to select an alternative winner) if Channel 4 is aware or has reasonable grounds to suspect that a winner is not eligible for these reasons.
17. By entering a Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. Channel 4 reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants and disqualify an entrant for submitting false information.
18. If you have sent your entry by post it will not be valid and will be not be eligible to win the prize in any of the following circumstances:
a) it is not written on a postcard or the back of a sealed envelope;
b) the competition identifier of the specific PRS competition that you wish to enter is not marked on the outside of the postcard or envelope;
c) it is on an envelope or postcard which is larger than C5;
d) it is received after the postal entry route for the relevant PRS Competition has closed (as specified in the relevant PRS Competition Notice);
e) any of the required details are incomplete;
f) Channel 4, at its sole discretion, deems that any of the details provided are illegible; or
g) it is not properly stamped.
19. If Channel 4 is unable to understand the information you have provided (ie. it is illegible or indecipherable) we reserve the right to disqualify your entry. If you provide more than 1 answer in any entry, your entry will be disqualified.
Winner contact and Prize Fulfillment
20. Winners and runners up will be selected at random by a computer process that produces verifiably random results from all the entries, usually within 7 days of the PRS Competition closing. Once selected we will verify the winner / runners up have answered the question correctly. If they have not an alternative winner/ runner up will be selected. Winners will be contacted by a Channel 4 representative who will make reasonable endeavors to contact each winner using the contact details provided at entry within 21 days from selection of the winner(s). For runners up, Channel 4 will make reasonable endeavours to contact each runner up using the contact details provided at entry within 7 days from selection of the runners up. Should we be unable to contact the winner(s) or runner up after the relevant time period has lapsed, another winner or runner up may be selected at Channel 4’s discretion. For time critical prizes the windows for contacting winners and runners up may be reduced and this will be specified in the Competition Information and/or on PRS Competition Notice.
21. Prizes are awarded at Channel 4's discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant.
22. If the prize is a holiday or experience for a winner and their guest(s) the prize must be taken by all such individuals at the same time and once confirmed no elements of the booking can be changed.
23. In order to claim your prize you may be required to provide official proof of age and/or residency. Failure to provide this in the specified period of time or if we have any doubts as to its validity or authenticity may result in forfeiture of the prize and another winner being selected.
24. We will not deliver prizes to addresses outside of the UK.
25. You may only win 1 prize per PRS Competition. Major prize winners' names may be published on the Channel 4 website.
26. If the prize includes foreign travel, the winners and their guests are responsible for ensuring they have valid passports with no restrictions on travel to the winning destination, relevant visa’s and comprehensive travel insurance and to familiarise themselves with local laws and customs, as well as ensuring that all of the people travelling have vaccinations and innoculations as they require in sufficient time to travel on the specified date.
27. All taxes, insurances, transfers, spending money and other expenses (including meals or personal expenses, upgrades etc.) as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winners and their guest.
28. Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. Prizes are subject to availability and Channel 4 reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time in its sole discretion.
29. There may be restrictions imposed on when prizes may be redeemed, for example holidays or specific events. These will be detailed on the PRS Competition Notice]
30. We may pass winners details to a third party agency for the purposes of fulfilling prizes. Delivery of some prizes may require you to be at home to accept delivery and this may take place on a weekday.
31. Winners may be requested to take part in post event promotional activity and Channel 4 reserves the right to use the names and contact details of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity.
Liability and Jurisdiction
34. Channel 4, its group companies and sub-contractors do not accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem in any telephone or mobile network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any entry being lost or not properly registered or recorded. To the fullest extent permitted by law, Channel 4 hereby excludes all warranties, representations, covenants and liability (whether express or implied) regarding the PRS Competition.
35. Channel 4 reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions or cancel a PRS Competition without prior notice in the event of human error or circumstances beyond our reasonable control. Any changes will be posted on this website and such posting shall be adequate notice to all participants. Please check these Terms and Conditions each time you wish to enter.
36. These Terms and Conditions (and any matter or dispute of whatever nature connected to these rules) shall be governed and construed in accordance with English Law and the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
37. For any premium rate related queries Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries is open from 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday and from 10am to 7pm on Saturday and Sunday (Bank Holidays 10am to 6pm) on 0345 076 0191 or you can write to us at:
Channel 4 Enquiries
PO Box 1058
Belfast BT1 9DU
or by filling in our online help form. To search our online help site visit www.channel4.com/help