Channel 4 has today confirmed the five plucky celebrities who are set to be thrust into the often unforgiving world of stand-up comedy for Stand Up and Deliver, an entertaining new two-part series in support of Stand Up To Cancer.
Broadcaster and Reverend Richard Coles, Happy Mondays frontman Shaun Ryder, former Conservative Party co-Chairwoman Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, Love Island’s Curtis Pritchard and former Coronation Street actress Katie McGlynn will each be paired up with an established comic who’ll mentor and train them in their attempt to master the art of stand-up comedy.
David Baddiel will coach Reverend Richard Coles, Jason Manford will be tasked with shepherding Shaun Ryder, Nick Helm will guide Baroness Warsi, Judi Love will be in charge of Curtis Pritchard and Zoe Lyons will champion Katie McGlynn.
Comedy is no laughing matter, it takes great skill and timing to deliver a stand-up routine. The professionals have years to perfect their art whilst these celebrities have just weeks. The five famous faces will be tasked with perfecting their routine alongside their celebrity mentor before performing in a special stand-up performance. Who’ll have the last laugh and get top-billing as Stand Up and Deliver Champion?
Stand Up and Deliver was commissioned by Channel 4’s Head of Factual Entertainment, Alf Lawrie and Commissioning Editor Becky Cadman. Produced by Lime Pictures under Sarah Tyekiff, Head of Unscripted, with Tamsin Dodgson as Executive Producer and Genna Gibson, Series Producer.
Becky Cadman, Commissioning Editor for Factual Entertainment at Channel 4 said, “This joyous Fact Ent series is both a masterclass in comedy, and a dramatic test of character. A Reverend, an actress, a politician, a reality star, and a musical legend already sounds like the start of a joke and watching them learn the craft of stand-up from five of the best in the business is brilliantly entertaining.”
Sarah Tyekiff, Head of Unscripted at Lime Pictures said: “Lime Pictures are excited to kick off 2021 with some unexpected one liners and a lot of laughs, with this fantastic Fact Ent series for Channel 4 and Stand Up To Cancer. Stand Up and Deliver has been an unforgettable format to make. With some of the UK’s biggest comedy names leading the way, it’s full of surprises, shocks and sheer fear as, for one night only, five brave celebrities battle it out for the biggest laughs.”
Stand Up and Deliver will air on Channel 4 as part of Stand Up To Cancer 2021.
Launched in the UK in 2012, Stand Up To Cancer is a joint national fundraising initiative from Cancer Research UK and Channel 4 that brings the UK together to speed up progress in life-saving cancer research. To date, Stand Up To Cancer has raised more than £62 million, funding 55 clinical trials and projects, involving over 11,000 patients across the country.
For more information, please contact:
How to get involved:
You can donate at channel4.com/su2c. 100% of your donation goes to Cancer Research UK in support of Stand Up To Cancer. To find out more about fundraising activities visit the SU2C website or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
About Stand Up To Cancer (UK)
- Stand Up To Cancer is a joint national fundraising campaign from Cancer Research UK and Channel 4 that brings the UK together to speed up progress in life-saving cancer research
- Supported by the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF) in the US and launched in the UK in 2012, Stand Up To Cancer funds translational research, turning academic breakthroughs in the labs into new treatments that make a real difference for people with cancer.
- More than £62 million has been raised in the UK to date, funding 55 clinical trials and projects involving 11,000 cancer patients across the country
- Research projects include the development of pioneering technology to detect super low levels of cancerous DNA in blood to improve the way we diagnose ovarian cancer, developing a new immunotherapy drug to boost the power of the immune system against cancer, exploring an entirely new approach to treating bowel cancer, and much more
- Stars such as Naomi Campbell, Noel Gallagher, Tom Hardy, Gillian Anderson, Idris Elba, Andy Murray, James Corden, Martin Freeman, Jamie Oliver, Richard Ayoade, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Peter Crouch, Abbey Clancy, Danny Dyer, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Lily James, Rosamund Pike, Sophie Turner, Stephen Graham, Toby Jones, Maya Jama, Joe Lycett and Roman Kemp are just some of the talent who have supported Stand Up To Cancer