15 Nov 2022

Toddler’s death caused by mould in rented flat that was ‘unfit for humans’

North of England Correspondent

A coroner has said it should be a “defining moment for the housing sector” after ruling that the death of a toddler was caused by prolonged exposure to mould in his family’s housing association flat.

Two-year-old Awaab Ishak died in Rochdale of breathing problems. At the end of the inquest into his death, the coroner questioned how something like this could happen in the UK in 2020.

There are now calls for changes in the law