31 Jan 2013

Duggan video revealed as man found guilty of supplying gun

A man is found guilty of supplying Mark Duggan with a gun just before he was shot dead by police, sparking the 2011 riots. Channel 4 News has obtained exclusive footage of attempts to keep him alive.

A man is found guilty of supplying Mark Duggan with a gun just before he was shot dead by police, sparking the 2011 riots.

Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, 30, was convicted at the Old Bailey in a retrial on a charge of transferring a firearm to Duggan between 28 July and 5 August 2011. A previous jury failed to reach a verdict at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

The trial and retrial remain the only times when police marksmen have publicly described opening fire on Duggan, in a shooting which sparked violence and riots first in Tottenham, north London, but which then spread across the country.

During the trial, the jury were told how Duggan, 29, had collected the BBM Bruni Model 92 handgun just 15 minutes before he was shot dead, on 4 August 2011.

This exclusive footage shows the last desperate attempts to keep Mark Duggan alive.

Warning: may contain distressing images

The officer administering cpr is the one who shot him. He described how he had opened fire after an "oh f*** moment".
He insisted that in the blink of an eye, he could see Duggan with a gun in his right hand. Apologising for his language, he said: "The only way I can describe thisis it was ... an 'oh f*** moment'. 'He's got a gun and he's going to use it on me'."

He was under police surveillance that day and the day before, and had gone in a minicab to Leyton, east London, where he collected the gun wrapped inside a sock in a River Island shoebox from Hutchinson-Foster before continuing to Tottenham.

The transfer, the court was told, took place in a cul-de-sac and the surveillance teams tracking Mr Duggan held back for fear of being spotted.

The court heard how the cab was pulled over by armed police in four unmarked cars in a “hard stop”. Duggan sprung out of the car, the court heard, then his right hand moved to his waistband and he drew out out a gun.

According to testimonies from the CO19 officers who shot Duggan, the shooter, known in court as V53, emerged from the passenger side of the car at the back, while another officer, known as W42, emerged from the nearside door of the front of the car.

The officers said that Mr Duggan was moving as if he was trying to escape, first towards W42, then turning in the opposite direction.

The trial of the man who supplied Duggan with a gun has been, in effect, the dress rehearal for the inquest into how and why he was shot dead.
It enabled police officers under oath and for the first time to give their version of events.
But amid so much conjecture and speculation over what happened during the shooting, as well as the events leading up to it, the trial has barely scratched the surface of what happened and has offered only limited answers for the Duggan family.
Police surveillance had been on Duggan's tail for at least two days in August 2011. But the reason why was never asked at this trial.
Officers say they may not have seen the gun being handed over, but they acted as if well aware Mr Duggan was armed. How they knew was another question that was not asked at the trial.
There has also been speculation that Duggan was planning revenge for the death of a cousin in a nightclub stabbing.
Now, the Duggan family are pinning their hopes on the inquest, which is to be presided over by a High Court judge.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation is still not complete, as it has yet to be given access to intelligence material belonging to the Serious and Organised Crime Agency.

Officers said that Mr Duggan was hiding something in his hand when the cab was stopped, and they saw him raise what appeared to be a gun as he got out.

V53 fired twice, the court heard, hitting Duggan in the chest and arm. One bullet travelled on and hit the radio belonging to W42.

The gun was found five metres from Mr Duggan’s body. However officers could not account for how it flew over thee railings and ended up five metres away near some bushes.

During the trial, Edward Brown QC, prosecuting, described to the jury how the death had been “regarded as the event that sparked the riots in north London, which then spread across London and then to other cities and which attracted widespread publicity in the United Kingdom and abroad.”

But he told the jury that it was not their task to decide the “rights and wrongs” of the shooting, which will be examined at the inquest into his death, set to take place in September.

The minicab driver, who said he would never be able to wipe the incident from his mind, said he did not see Mr Duggan raise his arms towards officers.