Henry Miller, 19, was in a remote area with other tourists when he drunk a drug, understood to have been Yage, which brings on vivid hallucinations.
He was polite, popular with a great sense of humour and was very much loved by his family and his many friends.Miller family statement
In a statement released to the Bristol Post, Henry’s family said: “In the last 48 hours we received the exceptionally sad news that our son Henry has died whilst travelling in Colombia.
“We are being informed of the circumstances through the Foreign Office. He was in the remote Putumayo region. We understand that he took part in a local tribal ritual recommended by the hostel that he was staying at.
“The ritual involves a drink made from local plant infusions. We are awaiting further information from the Foreign Office but it is likely that a reaction to this drink was the cause.”
The statement added: “Henry was an adventurous person who travelled extensively. He was polite, popular with a great sense of humour and was very much loved by his family and his many friends.
“We hope we can all be given the time and space to come to terms with what has happened and to grieve for our son and brother.”
A spokesman for the British Foreign Office said the government was “aware of the death of a British national on 23 April in Colombia” and said “we are providing consular assistance to the family at this very difficult time.”