Foreign Affairs Correspondent Jonathan Miller is based in Bangkok, Thailand. Before moving to Asia in 2015, he spent 12 years reporting out of London on news across the Middle East, Africa and the Americas. Jonathan has won four Royal Television Society awards and four Amnesty International TV News awards for Channel 4 News. He is the author of Duterte Harry: Fire and Fury in the Philippines, a biography of the Philippine President, Rodrigo Duterte, whose bloody rule he has documented for this programme.
French police have arrested a fifth person they accuse of being part of the entourage of their chief suspect in the Strasbourg Christmas Market attack. More than 700 officers are still hunting for 29-year-old Cherif Chekkat – who remains on the run.
French police have said that the gunman who shot dead two people in an attack on a Christmas market shouted “God is great” as he opened fire. Twelve people were wounded in the attack in the crowded narrow streets of Strasbourg. The gunman, who is thought to be a 29-year-old local man who was radicalised in prison,…
Now to new developments in the troubled recent history of Chinese tech giant Huawei, which is one of the world’s leading smartphone manufacturers.
In the latest of our reports from Sri Lanka, where a constitutional crisis has pitted two rival politicians in a battle to be PM, one contender leans towards India, the other, China.
Amid continuing political turmoil in Sri Lanka, the Tamils in the north of the country have tonight held ceremonies commemorating fallen fighters of the Tamil Tiger insurgent army which was summarily defeated nine years ago. The remembrance events are highly controversial, particularly among ethnic Sinhalese nationalists. Despite international outrage over alleged atrocities committed by Sri…
Members of parliament in Sri Lanka convene again tomorrow in an effort to resolve the turmoil which has engulfed the government. Two men currently claim to be Prime Minister – one of them, a former populist president accused of serious human rights abuses. Never in the past 85 years of democracy in Sri Lanka has…
Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya have fled across the border since August last year and the UN says it continues to get reports of serious rights violations in Rakhine state, including alleged killings, disappearances and arbitrary arrests.
Was there a body double? Leaked CCTV footage shows a man appearing to be dressed as the journalist Jamal Khashoggi leaving the Saudi consulate in Istanbul shortly after he was killed. A Turkish official called it proof that the murder had been pre-planned and efforts were made to cover it up. Investigators are now searching a…
Rescue teams in Indonesia are still searching for the hundreds of people still missing after last week’s earthquake and tsunami on the island of Sulawesi, with few hopes of finding anyone still alive.
French rescuers say they’ve detected a person, thought to still be alive, under the rubble of a collapsed hotel in Indonesia – almost a week after a powerful earthquake and tsunami.
The UN says that 200,000 people are in need of help, as the number of people confirmed dead after Friday’s earthquake and tsunami rises yet again. We travelled to Donggala, the town closest to the epicentre, and Loli Saluran, which was almost completely destroyed.
Indonesia has dispatched thousands of soldiers, police and emergency rescue teams to search for any survivors. But the sheer remoteness of the affected areas is making that effort, and sending aid, a huge challenge.
We bring you the latest from Indonesia as more than 150 aftershocks have hit the island of Sulawesi, following the tsunami and earthquake. Damaged roads and a lack of electricity are hindering rescue efforts as officials fear the death toll – now standing at 836 – will continue to rise.
First the earthquake, hitting 7.5 on the richter scale, and then the tsunami with waves up to 6 metres high struck the Indonesian coast. The city of Palu on the island of Sulawesi was devastated; homes, businesses and hospitals were flattened. Hundreds have been confirmed dead with hundreds more reported missing or injured.
“My only sin is extrajudicial killings.” That’s the surprise confession the President of the Philippines appeared to make today. It’s the first time Rodrigo Duterte has admitted to the killings which happened during his government’s controversial war on drugs, in which thousands of people are believed to have died.