Soda Bread Recipe
The brothers kick off a series of fast recipes with this quick bread recipe with no faff
Makes 1 loaf
- 300g wholemeal spelt flour
- 5g sea salt
- 10g baking powder
- 230ml homemade buttermilk (use the leftovers from this homemade butter recipe or just use shop-bought buttermilk)
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas mark 8. Once you have your oven and baking stone heated (a baking sheet will do if you don't have a stone), and all your ingredients and kit to hand, weigh the dry ingredients into the bowl and blend together.
2. Add the buttermilk and, using your scraper, mix the ingredients together for about 2 minutes, checking there are no dry bits at the bottom. The moment all the ingredients have mixed together and you have a sticky dough, flour your work surface and tip the dough onto it. Then, cupping the dough between your floury hands, shape it into a round and place directly onto your baking stone.
3. Using your scraper, cut a cross deeply into the dough and bake for 15-20 minutes, until your soda bread has a great golden crust and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Recipe from The Fabulous Baker Brothers, Published by Headline