Ploughman's Pie Recipe
Master baker Tom challenges his brother with these cheese and pickle pies
- 400g potatoes
- 150g hot pickled onions
- ½ dried chilli, broken up
- Knob of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g mature cheddar, grated
- 100g mixed fruit or apple chutney
- 10g curly parsley, chopped
- Good pinch of smoked sea salt and black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
For the shortcrust pastry
- 600g strong white flour
- 150g cold beef dripping, broken into pieces
- 150g cold butter, diced
- 2 tbsp ice cold water
1. In a food processor, blitz the flour and fat together to make the pastry. Add the iced water and knead until it just comes together. Wrap tightly in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
2. Scrub, peel and boil the potatoes. Drain, cool then chop into medium sized chunks.
3. Slice and fry the pickled onions and chilli in a bit of butter and olive oil until soft and brown. Season with some salt and pepper.
4. Mix the potatoes, pickled onions, cheese, chutney, parsley together in a bowl. Add the big pinch of sea salt and a generous grinding of pepper.
5. When you're ready to cook the pies, preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7. Divide the chilled dough into 6 and roll each piece out to the thickness of a pound coin and the size of a plate. Keep the edges as round as you can.
6. Place 220g of the filling on the nearest half of each round and fold into semi-circle to encase the filling. Leave the underside with an overhang, then brush the edge with water and fold the overhang over to make a tight seal. Crimp the edges of the fold with fingertips.
7. Place the pies on a baking sheet, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle some more smoked sea salt on top. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
Recipe from The Fabulous Baker Brothers, Published by Headline