Classic Apple Pie Recipe
Henry adds cinnamon to his apple pie filling and encases it in sweet vanilla pastry
- 100g butter
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 6 Cox apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 6 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 100g soft brown sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Granulated sugar, to sprinkle
For the sweet pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 100g icing sugar
- 110g cold butter, cubed
- 4 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
1. To make the pastry, rub together the flour, icing sugar and cold butter. Then add the egg yolks, salt, milk and the vanilla seeds. Mix it until it comes together, then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before using.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5. In a large pan on a medium heat melt the butter until it starts to foam. Add the cinnamon stick, apples, sugar and the zest and juice of the lemon. Cook the apples on a low heat until they have softened a little but still have a good bit of bite, giving them a good stir to break some of them up a little. Allow to cool.
3. Cut the pastry in half then roll each half out until it is about the thickness of a pound coin. Then use one sheet to line the bottom of a pie dish, fill with your cooled apple mixture and lay the other sheet over the top.
4. Use your fingers to crimp and pinch around the outside to seal the pie. Sprinkle sugar over the top and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe from The Fabulous Baker Brothers, Published by Headline