Good Morning Muffin Recipe
Allegra McEvedy's breakfast muffins are packed full of banana, pecans and cinnamon, with bran for added wholesomeness
Makes about 8
- 2 eggs
- 90ml sunflower oil
- 3 heaped tbsp apple sauce or stewed apple
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, mashed with a fork
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 200g wholewheat flour
- 6 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp bran
- Big handful of chopped pecans
- Scattering of oats, pumpkin or sunflower seeds for the tops
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Beat in the sunflower oil, followed by the apple sauce, vanilla, banana and maple syrup.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and bran.
4. Tip the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix thoroughly until you have a batter. Stir in the pecans.
5. Spoon into paper muffin cases in muffin trays, scattering a little of the oats and/or seeds on top of each one.
6. Bake for around 30 minutes in the top half on the preheated oven; don’t worry if they start spilling over the edge of the cases to make big muffin tops!
7. Delicious for a cheer-up breakfast, snack or tea-time treat.