Cajun Pulled Pork Recipe
This southern slow-cooked pork is sweet and smoky and served the traditional way in soft bread rolls with smoky coleslaw
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp thyme, finely chopped
- 2kg pork shoulder, most of the outer fat removed
- 250ml cider
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely sliced
For the coleslaw
- ½ white cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked chipotle chilli, finely chopped
- 175g mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pickles and soft bread rolls
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3. Mix the chilli flakes, mustard, thyme and some salt and pepper together, then rub into the pork.
2. Place the pork in a roasting tray, pour the cider and vinegar over the meat and scatter the onions and garlic on top.
3. Cover the pork with parchment paper then foil and roast for 3 hours.
4. Remove the foil and parchment from the pork and then roast uncovered for a further 1 hour.
5. Remove the meat from the oven and shred the meat into strips by pulling it apart with two forks.
6. To make the coleslaw, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
7. Serve the pulled pork in soft rolls with coleslaw and pickles.