Black Pudding and Chocolate Spread Recipe
Heston combines two breakfast favourites for this unusual spread from the Big Breakfast show
Heston: "This recipe was developed as a part of my full English breakfast in the Big Breakfast show, to really add an element of surprise! I wanted to capture the smooth, richness of the chocolate spread texture, which is often eaten on toast, with black pudding, a staple part of most people’s breakfasts."
For the gastrique
- 90g white caster sugar
- 1 allspice berry
- 6 peppercorns
- 200g red wine vinegar
For the chocolate spread
- 550g UHT cream
- 30g invert sugar
- 3g salt
- 350g black pudding, finely chopped
1. For the gastrique, add the sugar to a pan with the allspice and peppercorns and place over a medium high heat. Caramelise until dark, then using a spoon remove the allspice and peppercorns.
2. Add the vinegar to the caramel and reduce down to a thin syrup consistency.
3. For the chocolate spread, in another pan over medium high heat, bring the cream, invert sugar and salt to a boil then remove from the heat.
4. Pour the cream mixture over the black pudding and place in a food processor. Blitz until smooth then pass through a coarse sieve, followed by a fine sieve.
5. Season the chocolate spread with the gastrique then it's ready to use.