Potato and Beetroot Gratin Recipe
Serve Gordon's creamy veg gratin as a sumptuous dish in itself, or alongside a joint of roast meat
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- Butter, for greasing
- 750g potatoes, peeled
- 500g cooked beetroot, peeled
- 500ml double cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4. Rub the inside of a 26 x 18cm baking dish with the cut sides of the garlic, then grease it with butter.
2. Slice the potatoes very thinly. Cut the beetroot into slices about 5mm thick. Heat the cream gently over a medium heat until hot.
3. Layer one-third of the potatoes into the prepared dish (save the best-looking pieces for the top). Cover with half the beetroot slices and season with salt and pepper. Repeat before finishing with a last layer of neatly arranged potatoes and season again.
4. Pour the hot cream over the dish and bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are completely tender. If the top seems to be browning too quickly towards the end of the cooking time, cover it with foil. Serve warm.
Recipe from Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking. Hodder & Stoughton (2013)