Banana and Coconut Fritters Recipe
Little balls of sugary goodness with a taste of the tropics. What's not to love?
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 25g desiccated coconut
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 400g flesh in total)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, coconut, lime zest and salt. Stir the mashed bananas into the dry ingredients, mixing until well combined. Cover the batter with cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
2. Fill a large saucepan one-third full of oil and heat to 180c, or until a cube of bread dropped in the oil sizzles and turned golden in 30 seconds.
3. Using a tablespoon, carefully drop 4 or 5 spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
4. Lift out with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper, and repeat with the rest of the mixture. Serve hot, sprinkled with a little sugar.
Recipe from Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking. Hodder & Stoughton (2013)