Gordon's Italian Meatballs Recipe
Gordon and Geri Halliwell went head to head in the F Word kitchen with a meatball challenge. This is Gordon's version.
- 200g minced beef
- 200g minced pork
- ½ bunch flat leaf parsley
- A splash of white wine
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp fine breadcrumbs
- Milk, enough to cover breadcrumbs
- Plain flour
For the marinara
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp pitted green olives, drained
- Small bunch basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk.
2. Lightly fry the shallots, garlic and chilli for 2-3 minutes until soft. Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine. Add the tomatoes along with the basil, oregano and finally the olives. Simmer to reduce (this should take 5-10 mins).
3. While the tomato sauce is cooking, make up the meatballs. To the mince add the parsley, parmesan, garlic and add soaked breadcrumbs, mix well. Season with a little salt and pepper.
4. Shape into walnut sized balls and lightly coat the meatballs in the flour and fry in hot olive oil until golden. Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and bake in the oven for 10 minutes
5. Serve with basmati rice.
© Gordon Ramsay 200. All rights reserved
A selection of healthy recipes from the F Word are available in Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite, published by Quadrille