Gordon shows how you can turn your own chicken stock into a base for an oriental soup. Once you've got a good quality home made chicken stock, the rest is easy. A handful of ingredients and a matter of minutes is all it takes to convert your stock to an oriental classic - hot and sour soup.
To transform your homemade chicken stock into the base for the hot and sour prawn soup, start by prepping the oriental ingredients.
1. Peel and thinly slice a small knob of ginger, and add to the stock. Take a chilli and cut in half lengthways and add whole, leaving the seeds in.
2. Next, trim and halve 2 lemongrass stalk diagonally, and add to the broth along with a pinch of salt.
3. Add 4 tbsp of fish sauce, 3-4 tbsp of lime juice to taste and, to balance out the acidity, 1 tbsp of sugar.
4. Simmer for the a few moments - all these ingredients will add a fragrant flavour to the stock.
5. And that's it! You're now ready to make Gordon's Hot and sour prawn soup.