Off-Network House Rules
23 February 2011
As you know, whenever you sign up to a social network or site where you can leave comments, you agree to a set of terms and conditions or 'house rules'. You should always abide by the individual site's rules for all your activity.
However, we have some expectations for how you should behave on our pages on these sites:
- Most of our sites will allow you to comment, remember these comments will be available to other users to view, so don't post anything you wouldn't want everyone to know.
- Don't post anything that could make you contactable by a stranger, mobile numbers, addresses or where you go out.
- You should avoid posting something that might embarrass you later. Remember these are public spaces and anyone can see them.
- It is important to respect people's privacy, so make sure you have the consent of all the people you feature in any video or image you either submit or use and don't post personal details about other people.
- Your postings, video or images must be your own work and not copied from anyone else or, if you include anyone else's material, you must have obtained their permission to do so. This includes any music.
- Lying about your age is just not on. There is a reason why we make it a requirement that some of our content is only viewed by users over a specific age.
- Although connecting with people is one of the best aspects of social networking, we advise you to be careful who you add as a friend; particularly if you don't know them in the 'real' world. We recommend you do not meet anybody in the real world who you have only met online.
- Any harassment should not be tolerated. If you are being harassed by anyone you should firstly ignore it, most harassment will go away if ignored. If it continues, please contact the site owners through the relevant channels as outlined on each of their sites. If you notice anything that contravenes these rules or any of the rules specific to the site, please report it to the site through their reporting procedures.
- Don't include anything that is obscene, indecent, harassing, threatening or offensive or that promotes or shows cruelty, violence, vandalism, fraudulent or criminal acts or contains content that could encourage others to commit illegal acts or acts that could cause physical harm if replicated.
- Although you may post relevant links on social networking sites, we do not endorse anyone else's website. Please remember that we have no control over what is on someone else's website.
- We also do not endorse any unauthorised promotion of activity taking place in the real world whether this is a party or an event. All authorised activity will be promoted alongside the relevant channel logo from the main promotional area of our pages.
- Offensive comments are not in the spirit of the site and should be reported to the social network site as soon as possible. We moderate some third party social networking pages and will state clearly where we do. We will remove offensive comments from these pages.
- We respect your point of view and will listen to what you have to say about Channel 4. However, don't say untrue things about people or companies as this may be defamatory and don't mention any court cases or arrests as this may constitute a contempt of court.
- Please do not give anybody your bank details or any other personal details. Please be aware that we do not endorse anybody requesting this type of information.
- If you want further advice about how to avoid issues online, please visit one of the following: