To recognise this trend we're offering £1500 to the most creative mash-up of Channel 4's Film4 RSS feeds. Two runners up will also get £250. You can find a list of these RSS feeds on the RSS Central page, and also listed below. We'll create a gallery of all the mash-ups received that meet the judging criteria. The full guidelines of the competition, including how the projects will be judged and the timeframes for getting your entry into Platform 4, are outlined here.
Since we're not going to be hosting these mash-ups, you're free to develop them in whatever language you're most familiar with, and deliver them as bite-size widgets or full-blown apps. If you'd like to pull in other Channel4 content into your app, refer to our RSS Central Page for some of our more popular content feeds. For more on what makes a good mash-up, and a list of hundreds of open APIs with which to mash-up the Film4 data, visit www.programmableweb.com.
As an example of the kind of application that can be created using the film site's content, check out the Movie Tag Facebook application.
Cinema New Releases
DVD New Releases
Today's Film4 Listings
All mash-ups will be judged by a panel of experts on the following areas:
- Creativity: How unique is your mash-up idea?
- Quality: Does your mash-up entertain or provide some practical benefit to the user?
- Usability: How easy is your mash-up to use?
- Channel4-ness: Does your mash-up embrace Channel4's values (Do It First, Inspire Change, Make Trouble)?
- Contest begins: 6th December 2007
- Submission deadline: 7th February 2008 5:00pm
- Judging period: 8th February 2008 – 4th March 2008
- Winners announced on Platform 4: 6th March 2008
- Gallery of all suitable entrants put live: 14th March 2008
- 1st prize: £1500 cash
- 2 runners-up prizes: £250 cash each
Please email details (and URLs) of your mash-ups to email@example.com by the closing date above. These will then be distributed to the judging panel to be assessed and winners will be announced as set out in the timetable.
By entering the competition you are agreeing to the above rules and the Terms & Conditions. If you do not agree to these, please do not submit your mash-up to us.