Channel 4 launches mobile downloads on 4oD
First UK commercial broadcaster to offer free offline mobile catch up content
Channel 4 today announced the launch of a new mobile offline viewing service for 4oD, its successful video on demand platform. The free feature, supported by ads, gives viewers the opportunity to download and catch up with many of their favourite Channel 4 shows from the last 30 days – on the move, on their smartphone or tablet.
The mobile download feature is available on both iOS and Android devices exclusively to viewers who register with Channel 4. The new feature is the latest benefit of registration, giving registered viewers the opportunity to catch up with many of the Channel 4 shows they love, anywhere, at any time, without having to stay connected to the internet.
Downloadable programmes will be available for 30 days after broadcast – once downloaded, viewers have up to seven days to complete viewing before it auto expires from the service.
Channel 4 has struck a commercial partnership with Nissan, brokered through its agency partner Manning Gottlieb, to sponsor the new mobile download feature for six months from launch. Nissan’s logo will appear on all download pages, with banner style integrated placement within the product’s queue page and download list – and Nissan will also take the first in break position on all pre-roll advertising run on downloaded content. The sponsorship deal will see Nissan promote their Juke, Qashqai, Leaf and New Note models.
Sarah Rose, Director of Commercial & Business Development said: “We’re thrilled to unveil our eagerly-awaited free download service on 4oD, giving our viewers even more flexibility to watch our programmes wherever they are, and helping them organise their TV viewing around their busy lives.
“This is the latest development in our Viewer Engagement strategy to reward our now over 8 million and rising registered viewers with exclusive benefits to ensure they get the most out of their Channel 4 experience. Our fast growing database also enables us to deliver more innovative and engaging advertising solutions to our commercial partners including enhanced targeted ad packages – and our valuable young, engaged audience.”
Both new and existing registered viewers will be required to additionally provide their postcode to access the download feature. Channel 4’s Viewer Promise ensures its commitment to give viewers greater transparency and control of their personal data when they sign up through 4oD. More details can be found at: channel4.com/4viewers/viewer-promise.
Notes to editors:
- The download feature is for 30 day catch up content only. At launch, it will include Channel 4’s commissioned programmes – and hope to add US studio content as and when possible. Available programmes are clearly marked with a download symbol.
- Viewers can download as many progammes as they like as long as they have enough storage space on their device.
- Catch up programmes can only be downloaded from the UK. Once downloaded, viewers can watch the content offline or wherever they are.
- Registering with Channel 4 is free and gives viewers free access to its entire catalogue of 4oD programmes which includes the broadcaster’s vast archive spanning the last 30 years. As well as a range of exclusive benefits including online premieres of brand new episodes before they arrive on TV and personalised recommendations, registered viewers can create playlists and track their favourite shows with My 4oD.
- Viewers do not need to register to watch streamed 30 day catch up programmes on 4oD.
- Supported Android devices include: Google Nexus S, Google Nexus 4, Google Nexus 7, Google Nexus 10, Nexus Galaxy, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. 4oD can be accessed on non-supported devices but as testing effort isn’t fully focussed on them, Channel 4 can’t guarantee the app will work 100%.