What To Do With An Aged Parent's Home When They Go Into A Home

This is such a tough time for everyone. Sometimes it's a relief all round, other times it can be very tense. Depending on your circumstances, you have two courses of action: to sell the property or rent it out.

By Kate Faulkner

derbyshire-cottage. What to do with your aged parent's house

What Should You Do With Their House?

Whether you decide to rent out the property or sell it often depends on three factors:

1 If your parent is happy to rent or sell the property - or do they still think they will come home at some stage? This can be the case especially if people have dementia.

2 The state of the market. If the market isn't particularly buoyant, for example at the moment, then it might not be the ideal time to sell.

3 Whether you and your parent want to sell the family home.

Essentially, if you haven't already, you'll need to deal with issues such as power of attorney to allow you to take over your parent's affairs. The Alzheimer's Society explains this quite well. Your parent doesn't need to have dementia for you to have a power of attorney, but you will need their consent.

It is important to speak to your parent on a good day and ask them what they would like to do, explaining all the different options and the pros and cons of each of them.


For sale signs


All the help and advice you need when buying or selling property in the UK or abroad

Search all of 4Homes

Be inspired to create your perfect home...

Search 4Homes product finder

B&Q's Tips & Tricks

George and Kirstie dish out expert DIY advice

Skip Channel4 main Navigation

Channel 4 © 2014. We have updated our terms and conditions and privacy policy. Please ensure you read both documents before using our Digital Products and Services.