Your development work may also need building regulations approval. How do you go about getting it?
'Building regulations have nothing to do with planning permission and are minimum standards which ensure that your property remains structurally safe, protected from fires risks, is energy efficient and has adequate ventilaton,' says Tugman.
* The full rules governing building regulations can be viewed at the government's planning portal.
* Some building work does not need approval such as repairs, replacing drains, new bathrooms and fitting central heating where no major structural alternations are needed.
* Once work has started, a building control surveyor will make a number of checks to ensure that the building regs are complied with. It's important you get a Completion Certificate at the end of works. If this is not provided it could prove a problem when you come to sell the property.
* A chartered surveyor, builder or architect will help you draw and submit plans, obtain approvals and oversee the project on your behalf.
* The building regulations are published as 14 separate approved documents.
* The amount you will be charged will depend upon the size and type of the project.
* Find out what happens if you fail to comply with building regs here.
* You can can download a building regs booklet here.
Be inspired to create your perfect home...