Party Wall Agreements: A Guide

Party Wall Agreements

Before you do any work that will impact on a wall that you share with a neighbour - whether it's in your living room or loft, you should find out if you need a party wall agreement. Here's what you need to know.

By Gordon Miller

Party Wall Agreements

What Is A Party Wall?

Walls shared by adjacent properties are usually jointly owned by the two owners and are termed party walls. However, a party wall isn't only the wall between two semi-detached properties, it is also a: wall forming part of only one building but which is on the boundary line between two (or more) properties; a wall which is common to two (or more) properties, including where someone has built a wall and a neighbour has subsequently built something butting up to it; a garden wall, where the wall is astride the boundary line (or butts up against it) and is used to separate the properties but is not part of any building; the floors and ceilings of flats, apartments, and maisonettes.

Why Does A Party Wall Matter?

If you share a party wall you have a legal responsibility when it comes to carrying out certain works. In fact there is a Party Wall Act 1996 that came into force in 1997 that gives right and responsibilities to both sides sharing a party wall when one or other party wall owner is planning or undertaking work on the said party wall.

What Work Can Be Done Without Notice Or Permission?

You don't need to notify anyone if you are only doing small jobs, such as putting up shelves and wall units, replastering, or electrical rewiring, for example.

What Work Does Require A Party Wall Agreement?

The types of work covered by the Party Wall Act 1996 include: demolishing and/or rebuilding a party wall, increasing the height or thickness of a party wall; inserting a damp proof course; cutting into the party wall to take load bearing beams; underpinning a party wall.

When Do I Need To Give Notice?

If you think that any work you are proposing might have an effect upon the structural strength or support function of the party wall, or might cause damage to the neighbouring side of the wall, notification must be made. If in doubt, advice should be sought from a local Building Control Office or professional surveyor/architect.

Should I Talk To My Neighbour First?

It would be advisable to discuss your plans with your neighbour first. You may find that they have no objections, or would go halves with you on the work because they consider the job needs doing, too. Even if they are not 100% supportive of your decision they will no doubt appreciate being asked for their opinion. Regardless of whether they agree to the work being undertaken, and if the planned work to an existing structure falls under the Party Wall Act, formal notice must be served.


  • Previous Page Icon
  • Next Page Icon
  • 1
  • 2
Extension by EagleGSW

Build & Renovate

From small DIY jobs to building a house, start here for help with the structural stuff

Builder's helmet and blueprints

Find A Builder

Need a tradesman? Read reviews and get quotes from local experts using

Search all of 4Homes

Be inspired to create your perfect home...

Search 4Homes product finder

Buy, Sell, Rent Or Profit From Property

Get independent, expert advice and support for your property project

Skip Channel4 main Navigation

Channel 4 © 2014. We have updated our terms and conditions and privacy policy. Please ensure you read both documents before using our Digital Products and Services.