This creamy oven-baked porcini, mushroom and Taleggio rice dish makes for a hearty lunch.
Takes 45 minutes to make, 35 minutes in the oven, plus soaking
1. Put the porcini mushrooms into a bowl, cover with 900ml boiling water and set aside to soak for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, roughly chop the other mushrooms into 2.5cm pieces.
2. In a 3-litre flameproof casserole, melt the butter over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned.
3. Drain the porcini, reserving the soaking liquid, and squeezing out the excess water. Cut into thin strips and add to the casserole with the other mushrooms and the thyme. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Stir the rice into the casserole, coating it well. Add the wine, mushroom soaking liquor, stock and some grated nutmeg. Season and bring up to a simmer. Transfer to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
5. Give the rice a good stir, then stir in the Parmesan. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Cut the Taleggio into very thin slices. Remove the rice from the oven, season and stir in a little extra stock, if necessary, to give it a creamy texture. Lay the Taleggio slices over the top and grill for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
© delicious. magazine
Choose a well-balanced Italian red such as Chianti or Dolcetto.
38.3g fat (23.7g saturated)
Contributed by delicious. magazine